State Water Board Laws & Regs
Created by the State Legislature in 1967, the five-member State Water Resources Control Board protects water quality by setting statewide policy, coordinating and supporting the Regional Water Board efforts, and reviewing petitions that contest Regional Board actions. The State Board is also solely responsible for allocating surface water rights.
Each of the five full-time salaried board members fills a different specialized position (representing the public, engineering expertise, water quality expertise and water supply). The members are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.
Laws and Regulations
- Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program & Nitrate Expert Panel
- Eastern San Joaquin Irrigated Lands Program (Adopted Feb. 2018. precedential)
- Ex Parte Communications Questions and Answers
- Water Quality Petitions Web Page
Instructions for filing water quality petitions and opportunity to download electronic versions of water quality petitions are now available at the Water Quality Petitions Web Page.
- Laws and Regulations Relevant to Current Public Proceedings
- California Water Code (Link to Entire Code)
- Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act – (California Water Code, Division 7. Water Quality) with additions and amendments, effective January 1, 2010
Agricultural Water Quality Programs
See webpage links at left for the Central Coast Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program (Ag Order 4.0) for current water quality requirements.