California Air Resources Board

California Air Resources Board

Fact sheets, compliance tools, and regulatory documents are available at:

In-Use, On-Road Heavy Duty Diesel Vehicle Regulation

On-road heavy-duty diesel fueled vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds, yard trucks with off-road certified engines, and certain diesel fueled shuttle vehicles of any GVWR are subject to this regulation.

There are less stringent, agricultural vehicle provisions available.  Owner operators of Agricultural Vehicles under this regulation were required to submit registration information to the CA Air Resources Board by March 31, 2010.  AG stickers were required to be posted on each registered vehicle by April 30, 2010.

EXPLANATION: with links to on-line reporting



CONTACT: For questions about doing on line reporting:  CA Air Resources Board

866-6DIESEL (866-634-3735) or email at:

In-Use Stationery agricultural engines

Owners or operators of affected engines were required to submit registration information to local air districts by March 1, 2008.

EXPLANATION: The amended Airborne Toxic Control Measure for Stationary Compression Ignition Engines (ATCM) includes requirements for stationary and portable diesel-fueled engines used exclusively in agriculture.  Typically, these engines are used to pump water or provide power for growing crops or raising livestock.  The amended ATCM affects the sale, purchase, installation, and use of new/used and in-use stationary and portable agricultural engines.  The amended ATCM does not affect agricultural wind machines or motive (self-propelled) agricultural equipment with engines, such as tractors or harvesters; however, diesel engines not affected by the ATCM may be subject to other air quality regulations.  Diesel engines used in agricultural production are a source of emissions for diesel exhaust particulate matter (diesel PM) and other pollutants that have known health effects.

RESPONSIBLE AGENCY: Monterey Bay Air Resources Board


CONTACT: (831) 647-9411