Monterey County Farm Bureau

ILRP Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting

The purpose of this webpage is to provide Tier 2 and Tier 3 growers with information that will assist them in their reporting of total nitrogen applied by March 1, 2018, including an overview of the requirement, related documents, software needed, and submittal options.  Links to the various documents are at the bottom of this webpage.

What records are required?
Tier 2 and Tier 3 Ranches with a HIGH nitrogen loading risk determination are required to have records of the Total Amount of Nitrogen Annually Applied from January 1st to December 31st, and to report annually by March 1st. (or within 60 days of ranch termination).  The following records are required:
1. Total nitrogen applied in pounds per crop-acre (lbs/crop-acre) in fertilizers and amendments and all other materials/products containing nitrogen in any form or concentration, including but not limited to, organic and inorganic fertilizers, slow release products, compost, compost teas, manure, anti-crusting agents, fumigants, and extracts;
2. Average nitrogen concentration in irrigation water applied during the annual reporting period, and the calculated or estimated nitrogen load in pounds per ranch-acre (lbs/ranch-acre); note: this reporting is for all irrigation water applied throughout the entire reporting period, regardless of whether a crop completed its growing cycle during the reporting period.
3. The total nitrogen present in the soil that is available for crop uptake. The total nitrogen present in the soil must be measured at least once per annual reporting period.

When should the Total Amount of Nitrogen applied be reported?
The Total Amount of Nitrogen Applied in fertilizers, amendments, other materials, in the irrigation water and present in the soil, needs to be reported annually by March 1st, or within 60 days of ranch termination. Please refer to instructions for further details and for information regarding reporting.

How should the records be compiled before being reported?
Growers have the option to compile their records in any format or program they choose to use when reporting Total Nitrogen Applied in fertilizers, amendments, other materials, in the irrigation water and present in the soil.  The final information submitted to the Water Board must be submitted using the Total Nitrogen Applied reporting form.

Where can I find the reporting forms, instructions, and/or guidance documents?
The required Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Forms are available on the Water Board website under the Grower Resources Section at the link below. The Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Forms come with detailed instructions, “N_from_fertilizers” (to help calculate nitrogen per crop acre), “convert_to_gallons” (to help convert acre feet or acre inches to gallons of water applied), “weighted_avg_conc” (to help with calculating the weighted average concentration of the irrigation water if multiple sources of water and/or multiple samples were taken), a list of agencies and resources, a link to staff’s presentation with a summary of all the Nitrogen related requirements, and a few additional documents with conversions.  Growers should read the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Forms instructions entirely before reporting.

How can I open the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Forms?
To view, complete, print, save, and/or submit the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Forms you will need to have Adobe Reader (free software) installed on your computer. To download the latest version of Adobe Reader for FREE, navigate to the following website and follow the download and install instructions.
If you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer and are still having trouble opening the forms in your browser, right click the link to the form and select “Save Link As…” Select a location on your computer to save the file, such as your desktop. Save the document as an Adobe Acrobat Document. You will then be able to open the file from its saved location.
If you have an advanced license with Adobe, such as Adobe Professional, and open the form with this program, the form will open but may lose some functionality. For best results, the form should be opened and completed using Adobe Reader.
The reporting form may not be compatible with mobile devices, including iPads, iPhones, and Android phones. If you are unable to view the form on a mobile device or are unable to fill in the fields, try opening and completing the form using a regular computer.  Both Windows and Macintosh computers are compatible with the form.

What features does the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Form have to help me complete all the required sections?
1- The required fields are shown as boxes/cells with red outlines. If the red outline is still present after entering the information to a required box/cell, this means that the information has been entered in an incorrect format. This is specifically important when reporting the Assessor Parcel Numbers (APNs). Note: Before submitting the forms, all the red boxes/cells must be completed. Water Board staff will contact you if the form is incomplete.
2- Error messages may pop up if the APN formats are incorrect. The memessage will include the correct expected format in each particular box/cell. Click “OK”, and re-enter the information in the correct format.
3- The forms have embedded quick tips and instructions regarding the information that is required to be reported on the specific required box/cell. For the quick tips to show up, hover the pointer over the box/cell for at least 2 seconds.
4- Links to three different spread sheets (excel) are in the form with text highlighted in blue. The first link is in section II-C under Average Nitrate Concentration in Well/City Water, and is named: “weighted_avg_conc”. The second link is also in section II-C, under Estimated Total Volume of Well/City Water Applied, and is named: “convert_to_gallons”. The third one is in the title of section IV and named: “N_from_fertilizers”. To open the spread sheets click on the words in blue. If your computer is connected to the internet, the links in the Total Nitrogen reporting form will access the spread sheets. Respond to any prompt to either open or save the spread sheets on your computer.
5- In the top right of the first and second pages there are buttons that can be clicked to clear particular sections of the form or to clear the entire form. This will assist growers submitting reports for multiple ranches within the same operation.
6- When the form is saved, it will perform a check for completeness and accuracy and will display an error message if there are problems with the information that has been entered. The following error and warning messages may appear:
WARNING: Your form HAS been saved. Please review the error(s) listed below.
1. Not all required fields have been completed (RED OUTLINES) and/or one or more values have been entered in an incorrect format (RED TEXT).
2. Error in Section I: The Sum of Total Crop Acres (RED BACKGROUND) plus the Fallow Acres cannot be less than the Physical Ranch Acres Reporting.  If you receive this error, double-check to ensure that you are reporting all the crop acres grown and harvested during the reporting period and any/all acres that were fallow throughout the entire reporting period. If any acres of the ranch were fallow throughout the entire reporting period, enter them as Fallow Acres.
3. Error in Section II-E: The estimated acre-feet of water applied per crop acre (RED BACKGROUND) are outside the typical application values (low or high). Double-check the values entered in Sections I, II, and IV. This error is most commonly caused by an incorrect estimate of the total volume of irrigation water applied.

Can I report/submit the total Nitrogen applied in fertilizers, amendments, other materials, in the irrigation water and present in the soil using a different form and/or format?
No. The Total Nitrogen Applied information must be reported using the 2016 Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Form. Water Board staff created the form to ensure consistency and to customize the submittal/reporting of the required records.

How can I submit the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Forms to the Water Board?
Growers can submit the Total Nitrogen Applied Report Forms using one of the following methods:
An Internet Email Service is one that you manually login to through your Internet browser. Some services include Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail. The form must be completed, saved to your computer, and then attached to an email. Create a new message to the following address,, attach the previously completed and saved form to the email, and send the message. Include the following in
the subject line: ATTN: Total Nitrogen Applied Report. If the form is submitted successfully, you will receive an automatic reply email message from This automatic reply confirms that your form was successfully submitted to the Water Board.
Central Coast Water Board
ATTN: Total Nitrogen Applied Report
895 Aerovista Place, Suite 101
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Can I submit incomplete Reporting Forms to the Water Board?
No. To comply with the Total Nitrogen Applied reporting requirement, growers must submit completed forms. Water Board staff will not accept incomplete forms.
Water Board staff will contact the operation responsible parties if incomplete forms are submitted.

What happens if I make a mistake and submit a Reporting Form to the Water Board before I complete it? Can the mistakenly submitted Forms be retrieved?
If multiple Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Forms are submitted for the same Tier 2 or Tier 3 High Risk Ranch, Risk Unit, Field, or Block, the Water Board will accept and review the most recent and completed form.

If you have questions regarding the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting requirement, please contact Monica Barricarte at (805) 549-3881 or

Documents Available for Download

Download the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Form hereBe sure to save this form in YOUR computer.

Download the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Instructions here.

Download the Total Nitrogen Applied Reporting Guideance here.

Download the Nitrates in Soil & Source Water Guidance here.

Download the Sample Record Keeping document here.

Download calculation assistants for: Acre Feet of Water to Gallons, Nitrogen in Source Water, and Nitrogen Applied Conversions.