State Water Board Laws & Regs
Created by the State Legislature in 1967, the five-member State Water Resources Control Board protects water quality by setting statewide policy, coordinating and supporting the Regional Water Board efforts, and reviewing petitions that contest Regional Board actions. The State Board is also solely responsible for allocating surface water rights.
Each of the five full-time salaried board members fills a different specialized position (representing the public, engineering expertise, water quality expertise and water supply). The members are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.
Laws and Regulations
- Ex Parte Communications Questions and Answers (Updated 9/17/08)
- Pending Adjudicative Matters Subject to Ex Parte Communications Prohibition
- Water Quality Petitions Web Page
Instructions for filing water quality petitions and opportunity to download electronic versions of water quality petitions are now available at the Water Quality Petitions Web Page.
- Laws and Regulations Relevant to Current Public Proceedings
- California Water Code (Link to Entire Code)
- Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act - (California Water Code, Division 7. Water Quality) with additions and amendments, effective January 1, 2010