Ag Water Conservation
Monterey County farmers and ranchers have been conserving our water resources for over two decades
Groundwater extraction data for the Salinas River Groundwater Basin shows:
- 1996 extractions were 563,438 acre feet
- 2012 extractions were 495,968 acre feet
- Reduction of groundwater extractions of 12% over 16 years
Gross value of Salinas Valley agricultural production over the same time period:
- 1996 gross value was $2,844,548,000
- 2012 gross value was $4,137,597,000
- Increase in gross value of 45% over 16 years
Over the past decade, groundwater extractions averaged 495,968 acre feet / year.
Irrigation methods have also changed dramatically in the last 20 years, as evidenced by shifts in water delivery methods:
- In 1993, drip irrigation was used on 26,080 acres ... in 2013, drip irrigation was used on 113,617 acres
- in 1993, sprinkler and furrow irrigation was used on 89,662 acres ... in 2013, sprinkler and furrow irrigation was reduced to use on 20,570 acres
- In 1993, sprinkler irrigation was used on 54,744 acres ... in 2013, sprinkler irrigation was reduced to use on 31,423 acres
Drip irrigation is approximately twice as efficient as furrow irrigation (range of efficiency depends on the crop). 12,000 acres of grapes were added in the past 20 years utilizing drip irrigation; strawberries are exclusively irrigated using drip irrigation.
Crops grown in Monterey County require specific amounts of water to maintain adequate yields and quality uniformity. Over the past 20 years, addoption of water saving techniques, such as drip irrigation, have allowed yields to increase while actual water use has decreased.
Source: MCWRA Groundwater Extraction Summary Reports
Monterey County's Agrcultural Commissioner has developed a report on water conservation efforts here in the Salinas Valley area, which covers irrigation demand, salt water intrusion, groundwater levels, recycled wastewater, drip irrigation, soil moisture sensors, and other topics in depth.
View the report on the Ag Commissioner's website here.